Scrolling Covers

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Blurb: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

Review by Dale: ***Contains Mild Spoilers***

Fortunately I purchased the Hunger Games as  a box set and didn't have to wait for the sequel to arrive to read it. After allowing a mere 8 hours (to sleep) I plunged into book two. I had to finish it before I came home from holiday so my mum could read it too.


This book picks up just a few weeks after the first book, The Hunger Games (which I reviewed  Here) and again it immediately draws you in to the creepy world of Katniss and Peeta. 


Before starting this book I set about wondering what the author had in store for us. I imagined this book would be about the victory tour and maybe a mentoring of another unlucky candidate. Then in closing, probably a lead into revolution. I wondered how exciting that could be. But the minute Collins mentioned the Quater Quell, I knew we were in for another blood thirsty treat.


The writing is again instantly engaging, the story suitable complex and yet has an easy flow to it. My mum made the same comment that it was very easy to read and yet a throughly complex and compelling story. 


Often it is the case that you can guess where a story is going a few chapters in, and yes it was kind of obvious with the Quater Quell that Katniss would be heading back to the arena. But by the same token it makes you read all the more faster to find out how on earth she gets back out again. And it really comes down to the wire on this one (wink). Carefully twisting and turning the plot and dialoge until bam! 


Now with a cliff hanger the size of Niagara falls I'm rushing back to my favorite reading chair to start the final book, Mockingjay. Look for a review soon.


And again I wasn't disappointed, all the elements were there. The precise ability of Collins to keep every scene an exciting one. No padding, no boring bits. I think there is a lot to learn for other young adult writers like myself here. I guess i'm saying that Suzanne Collins makes me want to be a better writer.




Age 14+
Format: Hardback
Available from: Amazon Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)

 

Link to Download: Here
Price: $9.50c (at time of review)
Pagecount: 391 pp (appx)
Author: Suzanne Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment